Global Plastics and Plastic Product Producers Take Action on Marine Litter
As part of their overarching contribution to providing sustainable solutions, representatives of plastics organizations from around the globe have released a “Declaration for Solutions on Marine Litter.” The declaration was announced at the 5th International Marine Debris Conference in Honolulu. As of January 2012, 54 world plastic organizations in 33 countries signed the pledge, which describes steps that the industries will take, and suggests approaches and platforms for global cooperation and future partnerships.
Plastic Makers Commit to Global Collaboration on Marine Litter Solutions
The declaration outlines six major areas of focus for plastic makers; click below to see examples of projects already underway:
- Contribute to solutions by working in public-private partnerships aimed at preventing marine debris.
- Work with the scientific community and researchers to better understand and evaluate the scope, origins, and impact of and solutions to marine litter.
- Promote comprehensive science-based policies and enforcement of existing laws to prevent marine litter.
- Help spread knowledge regarding eco-efficient waste management systems and practices, particularly in communities and countries that border our oceans and watersheds.
- Enhance opportunities to recover plastic products for recycling and energy recovery.
- Steward the transport and distribution of plastic resin pellets and products from supplier to customer to prevent product loss and encourage our customers to do the same.
Read the Declaration in its entirety.